Open Bible Churches originated from two revival movements: Bible Standard Conference, founded in Eugene, Oregon, in 1919, and Open Bible Evangelistic Association founded in Des Moines, Iowa, IN 1932. similar in doctrine and structure, the two groups amalgamated in 1935 as "Open Bible Standard Churches" with the national office located in Des Moines.
Students attending the Open Bible Institute in Des Moines were encouraged by President, John R. Richey, to plant churches in the Des Moines area. The first service of the West Des Moines Open Bible Church was conducted by the Nelson Sisters; Lillian, Mable, Mae, and Mildred, in 1934 in a vacated paint shop.
A lot was purchased at 313 6th Street where the basement building was dedicated March 21, 1938. Seventeen months later, September2, 1939, dedication was held for the completion of the main floor of the Church. A parsonage was purchased by the Church, located at 508 3rd Street in West Des Moines. After pastoring the Church 11 years, the Nelson sisters resigned and became Evangelists in 1945.
Rev. O. Ralph Isbill pastored for 2 years and was followed by Rev. Clarence Anderson in 1947. In 1949, Rev. Earl Lee became pastor. The church's depts. were retired and the two mortgages held on the church property and the parsonage were burned in 1951. Also, two rooms were added to the Church; a nursery and classroom space. Rev. Lee resigned in 1957.
Rev. David Frank accepted the pastorate in 1957 until 1965. Under his leadership, plans were started to buy land and construct a new church facility.
Rev. Leland Anderson became pastor and in the summer of 1966 four acres were purchased at the corner of 11th Street and Ashworth Road. In December of 1968 a motorcade escorted by the West Des Moines police left the old church on 6th Street and moved to the new church facilities.
In August 1978 Gene Foster became pastor. It was by much prayer, sacrificial giving, and volunteer work that the Church mortgage was burned on Sunday June 24, 1979, 3 1/2 years early. Suddenly on Sunday, June 26, 1988, Pastor Gene Foster was called home to be with the Lord. Pastor Bill Hornback became pastor and took the church through a time of great healing and growth. Pastor Bill pastored West Des Moines Open Bible for eight years. On August 1, 1996 Pastor Greg Trueblood came to serve as pastor. Pastor Trueblood resigned after nineteen faithful years. In August 2015, Pastor Dan Altman was appointed as pastor.
Sunday Worship: 10:00am
Wednesday Bible Study: 7:00pm
Come home to the love of the Lord.
We are so glad you found us. West Des Moines Open Bible has served the West Des Moines area for over eighty years. We are members of the Open Bible Churches, an association of autonomous, evangelical, Pentecostal/charismatic churches.
Congregation of faith